Wednesday, April 6, 2011

serendipity walks

To walk around somewhere and discover ideas or serendipity walks as they say. This is what our instructor told us to do. Serendipity means letting you wander with empty mind. Serendipity means roving around without thinking any problem, agendas and preplans and sees what happens and where you end up. In this kind of walk you should let go of constraints for a moment and then see where serendipity takes you. This kind of walk is something that would help you take your brain a rest and let your instinct and imagination direct you. 

Serendipity walks is a process that we have to try on in order to create or discover a good techno idea since serendipity is the act of making a discovery by accident. In discover a good techno business creativity should also be considered and creativity demands serendipitying. 
Let me state some famous discoveries because of the help of serendipity. Probably the most prominent example is the discovery of penicillin. Alexander Fleming returned from a vacation to find penicillin molds had killed bacteria that Fleming had neglected to disinfect. Charles Goodyear worked out how to get Rubber from an awkward material that melted in warm weather, when he accidentally dropped a piece on a stove. And thus began an age in which natural substances could be altered through industrial processes. Continuing the rubber theme, the artificial rubber. Neoprene was also a serendipitous find made when a lab assistant left a chemical impurity in a test-tube over a weekend. A week and half later, in the same laboratory, the first artificial fiber was created, also by accident by the scientist in charge, Wallace Carrothers a development that lead to Nylon. These discoveries are great things that would give best examples of what could serendipity brings.

In my case, let me tell you some story (hahaha). Days ago I texted my uncle who usually sends us part of the money from the land that we were able to sell at Masbate. I was asking him to send us enough amount as allotment for the month of December and I while ago I have already received his text message noticing us that he already have sent the amount we wished for. So immediately I dressed up and went to Agdao Public Market where the nearest Cebuano Lhuillier branch can be found. Upon arriving to the shop, pawnshop, or whatever they call it, I have observed numbers of clients that were inside the shop. It was very busy since they have to accommodate people that have the intentions of sending something, some also have different purpose and by this it would take longer time to accommodate all of the customers. Well that was just my observation. After receiving the money I immediately went out and to my surprise I saw a many customers queued at the pharmacy near Cebuana Lhuillier. To mention the drug store it is the Sta. Ana Pharmacy and as always they really have most number of customers among all the drug stores located at Agdao Public Market. Well why I should be bothered with those stuffs that in fact I already know how crowded stores and shop within a market. After which I just walked heading home but in a while I have realized something, that time I can consider it already as serendipity by thinking nothing yet I remember something and that thing is to have my serendipity walk. So instead of heading home immediately, I decided to walk anywhere at Agdao, anywhere my feet would direct me to. As I can remember I passed through stores, shops, bakery, lottery, vendors, newspaper stands, food chains and more. After 20 minutes of wandering and imagining things like winning the jackpot price lotto and many more, suddenly someone texted me, I opened the message and it was my mother and the message was “Asa na man ka? Kadugay ba nimo. Mawagtang gani ng kawrta, daghan bayag tao dira makawatan na sad ka. Uli na!” then I came back to mind and recognized that I was about to arrive at another area. I immediately went back to where the pedicabs usually go by and on my way I have created some technopreneurship ideas that can help on some of the areas I went through upon my serendipitying. The things that I have imagined could help on the pharmacy, the Cebuana Lhuillier shop and the lottery booth that I have passed through. 

An electronic way of sending orders that was what I have imagined when I saw many people at Sta. Ana pharmacy. In the pharmacy, instead of waiting for the pharmacists to go near and went back to the counter and walk around to get the orders I have imagined of a counter where there would be built in touch screen LCDS or it could be any gadget that would serve as a device to list the orders of the customers. In case of medicines that would require prescriptions the prescription should be scanned through the LCD monitor to verify orders. The machine also has the database of the medicines available and medicine’s description. For example you have no idea as to what medicine to buy if you have coughs then you simply type in medicine for cough and lists of appropriate medicine will be showed with age brackets for those who can take the medicines according to the proper prescription. The device would also hold database for records of products sold. In this way inventory and checking of products sold would be easier. The device would not just help the customers but also the owner and the pharmacists to have a more convenient work. On the pharmacists part they need not to walk around time by time to get orders and such. They will only look for their computers and check for the customer’s orders and will only go to the counter for the payment and delivery of demand. In the case of payment there would be possible ways to make it also be included in the gadget that will be made but as for now I have no idea on how to make it happen. I suppose selling this kind of gadget maybe in the near future this will be a good business.
Another is about the teller machine. As what I have mentioned above I have been at Cebuana Lhuillier shop. On my period being there I have imagined of something that would work like a bank. Since Cebuana Lhuillier offers pera padala it would be better and high tech if the customers that will claim the money would not go to the counter anymore but instead will just have a machine that works like teller machines on backs. In claiming the money that was sent to you just have to claim the money using a machine that would function like a bank teller machine. Each Cebuana Lhuillier customers should have registered simply by getting their personal info. To check their identity they will be verified through a thumbmark recognition system. Every time they claim money sent for them they will use the machine and just fill up some important info like your name, password, the control number, the sender’s name and the amount of expected cash. Finally you have to stick your thumb to the monitor to check one’s genuine identity. By having this kind of machine, it would be more techy and convenient than on human resource system.

The last thing is in regards with the lottery. These days the lotto jackpot prize was so large and was really talked about by most. I usually do imagine about winning and investing the money on some beneficial purposes. A jackpot price of 741M I think it was, but fortunately for someone, the price was already won by a citizen coming from Luzon. Hopefully he/she will spend the money properly. Well anyways what I had thought was about having an online lotto ticketing office. With this kind of ticketing scheme, some people would not anymore go to lotto booths, all they need is to have the internet and do pick their number online and will pay with the use of credit card, paypals and such. I know the target clients for this kind of system would just be limited to those we call from middle classes to upper ones. In today’s generation though I can say 70% of those who stake for lotto doesn’t have credit cards and internet yet there would still be 30% of them that can avail with this kind of ticketing system. Well it would just be a proposal. It was just a result of having serendipity walks. 

Ahmm! Another thing before I forget. Last day, I think it was last Saturday while on the way home I walked just a short distance at Bajada before riding a jeepney. I was not on my mind that time and having daydreams. Maybe that can be considered as another serendipity walk. I passed through a dance school. I do love dancing and with this kind of passion I have imagine something that I can make to incorporate the field of my studies and my hobby. Like before I imagined of having an online dance school. Putting this kind of business proposal into action is quite difficult so I think of just integrating this idea to a dance school that is already operating or has been established. I can propose a website that offers different services that will coordinate their way of teaching dances. Since they already has their students it will not be that hard to advertise their online site or online tutorial class/school where students that have no time to enroll and go to a dance school can still have a chance to learn different dances and to develop their talent on dancing. It will also be more convenient to some individuals who don't have access to dance classes in their town. It will be more affordable for those who are not accessible to the dance schools. This could also be effective on those who have passion on dancing or we can say they want dancing as their second course. Since they don’t have enough time to enroll on a normal dance school due to let’s say time, they will be not worrying anymore given that they can learn dances anytime they want by simply accessing internet and going to this online school site. Every school has their mission and vision on educating and imparting their knowledge on their students. As well as this kind of school, This online dance school will provides opportunities, enjoyment and also methodology for community youth or the students to extend their dance experience and nurture their passion for dancing through the exploration of various dance genres and dance-related education as far as they wish their training to take them through the medium of internet and a website. This online dance school envisions the following:

• A fostering and safe online based dance school, enabling students to find the trust needed to explore different styles of dance.
• Faculty committed to the acknowledgment of the unique learning style of each student, helping each student to improve to the best of their ability.
• An eclectic way of teaching designed to give students a broad range of dance and dance-related educational experiences.
• Instruction that is directed at only at videos but also promotes the joy and mental and physical well-being that dance can provide. 
• A way of enjoying student’s hobby at the same time by learning and becoming efficient graduates.
• To deveop confidence, healthier life style and positive attitude towards things.
• To promote camaraderie and share faculties with others.

Thus our vision is to get students to level where they are encouraged to continue a career in dance and to have a level of enjoyment that will continue that the desire through online tutorials and videos.
These 4 things are just the results of my serendipity. It may help or not but the thing is that I have to believe in my ideas and be more creative and possess the characteristics of a good technopreneur. Also as what I have learned this phrase from an idol Steve. "People with Passion Can Change the World for the Better" You just have to look for what exactly do you desire and love and everything else will come out successful. You just have to believe on yourself, have a great amount of confidence, believe on your capabilities and chances of running a successful business and reaching your goals will be a big YES! Passion is really a very prevailing factor that will assist you on your existence. You just have to know the things that give you interest and the things that will make you contented doing it because these things can help a lot on making a change. Just also keep your faith in the Lord and let him guide you on the right path. You must also recognize how to distribute your knowledge to others and don’t be gluttonous and self-centered because this might bring you down. 


Reference: http://www.scribd.com/doc/8774972/Serendipity-and-Science

No comments:

Post a Comment