Saturday, October 16, 2010

Lessons Learned from the Commencement Address of Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs is such an inspiration, indeed! Every word that comes out to his speech imparts bunches of learning and knowledge that marks a scar on whoever reads or hears. A lot of statement struck me. The first and perhaps the most important thing he said is “you’ve got to find what you love”. It is something that made me think of the things I do. Do I really love what I am into right now? Maybe I’m contented with what I am doing but I can’t really determine if I have the passion in it. The commencement address of Steve Jobs is one of the speeches that explain how possible we can achieve success if we just trust on ourselves and do our part to reach our goals. He mentioned three stories that elucidate his hardships and path as he takes on his journey to attain triumph. These stories bring different lessons that made me realize of many things.

The first part was about connecting the dots. Steve Jobs as I didn’t expect went through different hardship that include family desertion. His biological parent decides to put him up for adoption and abandoned him that led him to his new family. The parents who adopted him made sure that he will be in college and graduate soon despite of financial problems they still manage to give their best just to bring Steve Jobs on one of the expensive universities. Thinking of my mother, I should be good on my studies because it’s not easy to look for money and to send to school. Steve Jobs had no idea on what he really wanted to do with his life so he decided to drop out on a course that gives him no interest and drop in to something that caught his attention. These words made me confuse especially on making my decisions. The course that I am taking now is not the course that brings out on my skills. In short this is not my field. Somehow Information Technology gives me interest but when I first engaged in formal classes I found out that this is really not the thing that I love to do. Steve’s words made me think of dropping out the course that I am presently taking. I’ve got find what I love”. But by discerning I found out that I am starting to love what I am taking now and I can’t leave the course that I’m holding on. The only thing I must do and develop is the trust that I must put on myself. Like the trust that Steve Jobs had and the trust that I can pursue my studies and will graduate soon. I must have the courage and self-confidence in order to reach the peak of success. Right now, I may not know the purpose of enrolling to this course but soon I may be able to connect the dots and know the reason and purpose behind the hardships that I had and will undergo through. I must trust the dots that will somehow connect my future.

The second part was about love and lost. Hardship do really comes our way but like Steve Jobs, even if we will be down we must still know how to stand up again and continue the fight. I have failed two times in this college life. The first time disappoints me a lot. When I reach college I didn’t expect to fail. I wasn’t able to prepare myself on the kind of adversity that I will face. It was awful tasted medicine but I really needed it. I needed to fail to bring out more effort and to let me realize to give my best shot on whatever I am doing. I must not have the mindset of just passing the subject but I must strive hard to get good grades and to learn many lessons. I must not get easily discourage and I should not lose hope easily. I have to find what I really love and right now I am holding on the reality that I love the thing that I’m doing. I must have the passion because it is one of factors that can make you reach your goals in life. If you love what you are doing then it will not easily bring you down. Instead of being tired you will enjoy and it will bring out the best in you. But in case I realize it’s not, I must not give up, I must not settle and I should keep on looking until I will find it because the thing that will keep me going is the thing that I love to do.

The third story was all about death. Steve Jobs was diagnosed with cancer. It was definitely a very hard situation to accept. Death is something we can’t escape. It is something that enforces him to think of living each day as if it is the last day. And this could help a lot. In our daily journey, we have to think of giving our best. I was really struck with what he said. I realize that each moment is important. We don’t know maybe tomorrow or the next day we will be facing the destination we all share. I must treat each day as if it is the last day. We have given limited time on this earth so as long as I’m here I must know my purpose, do my best to reach my goals. I should not be afraid to take risks. I am afraid of rejections but I learned that I must face my fears and be ready on everything because the story of my life may end anytime and I may not have much time to do things that I must. Don’t live with results of others. Honestly, I am also conscious on other’s words and sometimes I do get affected easily especially if it hurts. But I learned from Steve Jobs speech, I must let the noise of others’ opinions to drown out my inner capabilities. I must have the courage to speak out and show what I can do. I must follow my heart and be who really I am and I what I truly want to become.

Steve Jobs inspires me in many ways. He let me realize many things. I know time will come I will be able to reach my goals. Also by the help of the people around me I already found what I love and I’m sticking to the anticipation of reaching the peak of success. I must stay hungry. I must stay foolish.

No comments:

Post a Comment