Saturday, October 16, 2010

"Pirates of the Silicon Valley"


1. What are the factors that contributed to the success and failure of Steve Jobs as a technopreneur?

When indulging oneself into a business you have to consider lots of aspects that would make such business effective. Especially when this business you are referring to has something to do with technology. In other term, it is called technopreneurship. Technopreneurship is a kind of business that involves innovative high technology on the product to be delivered. Technopreneur is the person who uses creativeness of technology as their business model.

In regards to this, last week we had a film viewing concerning the most prominent technopreneurs in the present generation in which the movie is entitled Pirates of the Silicon Valley. In the movie I have distinguished Steve Jobs as one of the world’s most successful technopreneurs. In fact, he was listed on America’s greatest business leaders of today. As I was watching the movie, I was amazed with Steve Jobs’ ability and facilities that made him achieve his greatest objectives but on the other hand he showed some negative sides that brought him some lost.

Some of the factors that I have noticed that contributed to the success of Steve Jobs are as follows:

While watching the movie, I kept on saying how I really admire their intelligence (referring to the antagonists of the movie). I suppose that it is actually one of the major factors that made Steve Jobs at the peak of success. Intelligence is a gift and is a general factor that runs through all types of performance. In Steve Jobs’ case I can consider intelligence as one of the dynamics of his success. I can see how he considers efficient factors. The way he decided to sell his products, his way of reasoning and convincing large companies is amazing. He also has the ability to foresee future demands of technology. He also thinks systematically in which he can incorporate elements and ideas to make a product or project effective. He was able to grasp the essentials in a given situation and can respond appropriately to them. Like when they copy concepts from a XEROX computer laboratory which leads out to their success as technopreneurs. Steve Jobs also uses his intelligence in making decisions especially when he doesn’t know what to do. His good skills on communication also aided a lot on his achievement. Even if he wasn’t dressed in a formal manner he still managed to get the approval because of the way he talks and uses his intelligence into implementation.

Passion and confidence was also present in Steve Jobs. He has the love for the job or the things he is doing. He gets involved with something that coincides with his interests. In the movie I can see how much he exerted efforts to finish the computers they made. Even if it seemed to be tiring and difficult, he never gave up. He continued on pursuing their goal and making sure of producing quality computers together with his colleagues. He researched better and putted forth much time on his job that simply shows his passion for what he is doing. Even if they started on a low hierarchy, it didn’t hinder them to pursue and achieve their interests and objectives. Steve Jobs also believes in his own ability that equipped him confidence to do his best. Self-confidence is extremely important in almost every aspect of our lives, yet so many people struggle to find it and luckily Steve Jobs acquires this skill. It is really a vital factor to reach success. You have to do what is best and don’t just stick on good ideas. Believing on your works follows to the path of a fruitful result. This is a very striking statement form Steve Jobs “People with passion can change the world for the better”. With this statement we can view Jobs’ outlook of considering passion as a big factor to great change and triumph.

Lastly, innovation and hard work is significantly factors to Jobs’ accomplishment. Steve was being innovative in his business which leads him to ideas of better improvements for the computers. He kept tracks of new ways or better ways of doing things and apply those for the improvement of the quality of his products and of course for the efficiency of the operations. Like what happened in Job’s Lisa, Apple and Macintosh. Jobs was so rigid in making decisions and plans to come up with improvements for the demand of the industry. Hard work, it is undeniably a factor for Steve Job’s success. Before achieving his throne as a successful technopreneur he went through on exerting much effort and enormous amount of hard work on his passion for computers. Nothing in this world comes easily especially success. He worked hard from being a simple, ordinary person to a prominent technoprenuer throughout the world.

If Steve Jobs achieved triumph, he also had undergone failures. Some of the factors that contributed to the failure of Steve Jobs includes:

He has an attitude problem. He was really a hot tempered person. He gets angry easily. He has mood swings, even his friend Steve Wozniak observed quite changes from his attitude when they already founded their own company. The great effect of his attitude was on his employees. He didn’t allow them to have enough time to take a rest just to make sure of faster innovations for his computer. He didn’t give considerations. He initiated ways to create conflicts between teams of his company for some reasons. He was a self-centered person and didn’t consider emotions and opinions of others. His arrogance could also be a factor. These things ended up on some failures.

In addition, in the movie I have also noticed that Steve Jobs was a drug dependent and has vices in which is not exemplary. It is maybe one of the reasons why he had attitude problems. He also had problems regarding his family. Since he was adopted, perhaps it affects the way he treats her daughter where he seemed to be inconsistent and unpredictable. These are some of the things I observed as factors of his failure.

But despite of the failures of Steve Jobs he was still able to deal with it and find ways to continue his passion for innovating computers. He is still one of today’s successful technoprenuers which also serves as an inspiration to everyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


2. How do you see yourself as a technopreneur?


As a technopreneur someday is not an easy path to take on. It needs skills that would make you pass through a hard and tough road. To be an entrepreneur especially when it is technology based, it needs to be equipped with qualities such as passionate, innovative, hardworking and strong like Steven Jobs as an example.

I am taking up B.S. in Information Technology as my course. Since I am sensitive about technologies as one of my concern, it is really a challenge for me to engage in a kind of business someday which has something to do with technology. Seeing me as a technopreneur in the future is quite attainable. I always do see myself to be a businessman someday or should I say, I always want to be stable with my own business. My plan for my future after graduating school is to have an experience of working with the use of the knowledge and the facilities I grasped from my studies. After which is to build my own simple business that is fairly enough to provide the needs of my family. But I think rather than being contented of dreaming a simple future is to think of a bigger goal that will contribute and be benefited not just with my family but with everyone. I know to be in the shoes of Steve Jobs is impossible on my part because I know my capabilities of being an technopreneur but I can see that even if I will not reach the peak of Steve Jobs achievement, I can still be a good technopreneur with the help of the things that I will learn from my subjects and with the determination I am holding on. In the future I hope to see myself wearing executive attire, having my own office, roaming around the company or simply staying at home but as the leader or the owner of my own business. These things are far beyond my hands but I’ll be passionate enough with my dreams to be able to achieve it and be an efficient technopreneur in the near future.

As early as now, as a student I start simple technopreneurship way of business. In facebook, there are online shops that sell different products that seize the attention of some teenagers nowadays. It is an online shop that sells Korean products that are in trend now with the young people. Since Korean Pop songs and groups are somehow invading the minds of young ones, I get the chance to take advantage with the situation and have a simple business with the use of internet and community sites. I do reselling using my facebook and twitter accounts and sell the products gaining 30% profit. I know it is not a big money but I can’t sell it with the amount doubled because for sure it won’t sell. The products I resell include DVD and CD album of the KPOP groups, ballers, lanyards, pins, posters and such. Also, once I planned of having a blog that can earn money as well, but as I start blogging, I find it hard because I am not that skillful enough in those aspects. But I’ll try to learn and improve my abilities as far as I can. Luckily I’m willing to give efforts to develop my IT related skills (if I do really posses those kind of skills..LOL!).

Evaluating myself as a technopreneur I can see some positive characteristics that could supplement by some means for a successful business. I do posses some useful traits such as the following.

I really have a positive outlook on life. I see my problems as blessings from above. Sometimes I give up but not that straightforward. I seek solutions first and give my best try on solving whatever adversity I am opposing on. In a business, maybe I can be effective on this aspect since being a technopreneur needs to comprise the attitude of optimism because you will be experiencing risk taking. Having a positive outlook on life and sanguinity can increase the chances of surviving and flourishing your business especially when you are under hard obstacles and crisis. In this matter I can pass the standard of a technopreneur that must possess optimistic view on situations that will probably occur. This attitude is essential to be a good technopreneur.

I am also a serious person. Even if I’m cheerful and outgoing I am still flexible on the kind of mood that I must bear on. I’m serious in times that I must be. Given that a serious job is not that simple so you must also be serious on making decisions because serious jobs are no excuse. Aside from this, I am also passionate on my work. If I really do love what I am doing then I’ll be very hard working in making it successful. I also believe in passion behind business. Just like Steve Jobs, he had a great passion for what he is doing so he definitely succeeded in life. Even if he started as simple person he pursued his projects and So I am looking forward of holding achievements as an technopreneur because of being passionate on the things that I do especially when it comes to earning money since money is undeniably one of our most important needs to survive. Honestly I can’t see myself very creative, innovative, and intelligent but I do still believe in my abilities because for me it is the passion for your work or project that will make you excel. Another point is that once you will be passionate on your work, your employees will also be the same and will be inspired with the way you act as their boss. As a technopreneur I will be a sensitive employer which will consider the side of my employees. I will be a cool technopreneur that will not have a business of pure work but a business which incorporates enjoyment and learnings because for me the joy you receive from your work is much greater.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


3. Would you take the same career path that Steve Jobs took? Why or why not?

In some way, I say yes. Since I am taking up an IT course, it will be an inspiration for me to follow Steve Jobs’ path. Of course I also want to be successful on my career. He just initiated from being a simple person and started his journey when he gets involved with a school project where he called William Hewlett of Hewlett-Packard to ask for some parts. Afterwards he met his friend and business partner Steve Wozniak a very talented and smart person, in fact as I can remember from the movie Steve Wozniak is an engineer. This situation serves as the start of the venture or the foundation for the APPLE to be built. Seeing this circumstance it is really possible for me and the others to be a successful technopreneurs someday. I would like to take Steve Jobs’ path especially with the reason that he basically started as an ordinary individual who had also undergone tough hardships before getting into where he is in present. He went through rough roads and financial scarcity which needed him to save the money he earned from doing sideline projects just to pursue their projects. He was amazing and I really want to be like him. He thinks well and is very clever especially when he saw Steve Wozniak’s potential and influenced Steve Woz to go into business with him. He never misses good chances and immediately grabs the good opportunities. In the movie I have seen them operating only on a garage and I think they were working on Apple I prototype that time. Being in Steve Jobs’ path is such honoring because he gives inspiration to people that has ordinary status in life. Before becoming a very successful technopreneur it is better for me to experience hardships to acquire knowledge and learning before immediately reaching the success. In a business you’ll be going through ups and downs. Thus, it is better to have a strong heart and confidence to survive in the world of business.

In the near future, after graduating if given a chance I hope to be in the world of Steve Jobs. The world of business incorporated with technology and will bring potential contributions in the world of Information Technology. Like Jobs I want to have my own company together with one of my close friends and start making innovations with the technologies. I want to go to different countries and explore. But still in the end I will build my own business in the country where I originated. I want to earn money and help my family in the provision of our daily needs. I want to be an inspiration to most people. Being at top of today is far so hard to achieve. It is very difficult to have a good career in the present generation. There are lots of hindrances that would block the way of opportunities and there are many skillful persons that will be so competitive. If given such chance to be in Steve Jobs, it would really be a privilege and nobility.

Having my course as a basis, it is a very appropriate career to choose technopreneurship as path of grasping triumph. Most IT related courses graduates nowadays go to work as call center agents. To think of struggling many years for studies, sacrificing time and efforts and ending up as agents is pathetic. Hope someday I would not be driven to be in the same place but I’ll be as successful technopreneur like Jobs and can certainly achieve my endeavors and plans for my future. I want to create jobs for others to be benefited. I want to employ people and help them to live. Having in the same career path with Steve Jobs can make me rich faster than being just an ordinary employee.

I want to take the same path with Steve Jobs and want to have some characteristics those he posses. His passion for work is the best because it is the thing that brought changes to the world as he said. Struggles have been on his way yet he manages to overcome and surpass all of those because of the passion he have for his work. He loves computers and technology as one of his priorities in life. His intelligence and skills also amazes me. He is also confident and consistent in his vision and goals. He always makes sure of producing quality products.

On the other hand, I don’t want to be unsympathetic and inconsiderate to my employees. In this part, I don’t want to be in the shoes of Steve Job’s. I don’t want to follow the kind of relationship he gives to his employees. For me, it doesn’t really fit the appropriate attitude that must be given to your workers. You might lose some of your aces or your potential employees for being so insensitive. Just like in the story Steve Jobs wants his human resources to work for almost 5 days per week without having enough time to rest and to sleep. If this will be happened your workers may possibly end up their work for you and will transfer to another company that has better way of treating their employees. When talking about the workers, my own point of view it is better if you, the technopreneur and your workers will both work hand in hand and would have a positive attitude towards each other to make a project or a business achieve its goals. Having enjoyment from working is very encouraging and will help the company to have a positive outlook towards working.

I don’t admire some of his behavior. I don’t like the way he act in front of his friends and workers. He lacks proper values that must be imposed as a technopreneur. He is self-centered and insensible. He only thinks of his success and not the condition of others. He’s hot tempered and gets angry easily. This shows unhealthy behaviors towards work. The way he treated his daughter in the movie not including the latter part is horrible. He is unexplainable if he’s willing to accept his daughter as his own or disregard her. If I’ll be on the career path of being a technopreneur and will have my family, they will be my greatest inspiration and moreover God for the success of my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment